New reablement service could help you feel like YOU again

01 July 2024
Photo of Lilly from the Able Me team.

Residents who need help to rehabilitate from injuries or health conditions will be able to access support from a new reablement service.

AbleMe is a local service, run in-house by Wirral Council. The service offers information, advice and guidance to individuals and, where required, short term support via home visits from trained practitioners and social care staff.

AbleMe staff can support with personal care, household tasks, taking medication, avoiding falls and more.

Sayyed Osman, Director of Adults, Health and Strategic Commissioning for Wirral Council, said:

Our main goal with AbleMe is to enable people maintain a bit of independence through life’s ups and downs – be that when recovering from an injury or when dealing with a health condition.

We want people to feel they can be independent for as long as possible, stay active and age well. Receiving a bit of extra support if your circumstances change can be a difficult thing for some people to accept – but early support from our service could enable you to live the best quality of life possible.

In addition to personal care, the service can also provide equipment to keep residents safe and independent at home. It can help people connect with other services that may be able to help them while also supporting carers who may need some respite. 

Lily Shields, Registered Manager for AbleMe, said:

Helping people to continue living in their owns home for longer, with family, friends and the wider community around them, will also reduce social isolation. If you think you or a loved one could benefit from accessing our service, please get in touch.

Video Url
AbleMe project manager Lily Shields talks about the service...

To be eligible for some support from AbleMe, you should: 

  • have the potential to become more independent. 
  • be willing to work on a plan to get better and stick to it. 
  • have not received care, or been assessed as requiring long term care, in the past year. 
  • be 18 or older and a Wirral resident 

To check if you, a family member or a person you support, are eligible for Able Me, please contact the Central Advice and Duty Team (CADT) which is part of Adult Social Services. A full assessment of health and social care needs will be carried out. 

• call 0151 606 2006 

• email 

For more information visit

AbleMe is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Related Tags