83% of smokers wanting to quit cite at least one health reason for wanting to stop smoking. Another key motivator for many quitters is saving money.
Whatever your motivation, quitting smoking is easier with the right support. We’ve rounded up our top 5 tips to help you stub it out this Stoptober, for good.
1. Set a date and stick to it. Whenever you find yourself in difficulty say to yourself, "I will not have even a single drag" and stick with this until the cravings pass. You can also think ahead to times where it might be difficult – a party for instance – and plan your actions and escape routes in advance.
2. Exercise away the urge. Physical activity may help reduce your nicotine cravings. When you have the urge to smoke, do something active instead – going to the gym or local swimming pool are good, as is a little gentle exercise like a short walk.
3. Keep busy. Keep yourself busy until the craving passes, try these – going for a walk, playing a game on your mobile or computer, or phoning a friend. And if you’re using NRT or an e-cigarette, use it as much as you need to keep the cravings at bay. Stick with it and each day will get better.
4. Avoid triggers. If you usually smoke at certain times of the day – first thing, after food, with a coffee – plan ahead and do something different at these times.
5. Get the right support. The most successful quit attempts are made with a combination of quit methods, so this year Stoptober is providing a free online Personal Quit Plan, which helps smokers find the right support for them – with options including face-to-face support, nicotine replacement therapies (such as patches, inhalers or lozenges) and e-cigarettes. Get your free Personal Quit Plan and find the support that’s right for you.
To date, Stoptober has driven 1.7 million quit attempts and quitting success rates are at an all-time high. Stoptober also offers a range of extra free quitting support including a Stoptober app, Facebook messenger bot, daily emails and online communities.
If you are a smoker, quitting is the best thing you can do for your health and the health of those around you. Become part of the movement and join the thousands this Stoptober who are determined to become smokefree here.
Looking for local support? ABL Wirral has supported more than 5,500 people on their stop smoking journey since the service launched in April 2016. You can access FREE help and guidance from Wirral’s stop smoking service at www.ablwirral.co.uk or by calling 0151 541 5656.