National Know Your Numbers (KYN) Week runs from 9-15 September and is a great opportunity for residents to find out if their heart is happy and get their blood pressure checked for free.
With Wirral taking part in KYN week again this year, the UK’s biggest free blood pressure testing event, we thought we'd share you some top tips to maintaining a healthy BP!
- Cut down on salt – Reducing your salt intake is the quickest way to lower your blood pressure. If you can, avoid adding it when cooking or at the table. If you're worried about your BP, steering clear of stock cubes, gravy, soy sauce and processed foods is a good place to start. Check food labels and avoid processed foods high in salt and aim to eat less than 6g a day.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables – at least five different portions every day - but why stop there?!
- Quit smoking - Each cigarette you smoke increases your blood pressure for many minutes after you finish. Stopping smoking helps your blood pressure return to normal. Quitting smoking can reduce your risk of heart disease and improve your overall health. People who quit smoking may live longer than people who never quit smoking.
- Exercise regularly – that doesn’t have to mean the gym, how about a regular lunchtime walk? 30 minutes five times a week is ideal. If you are unsure about taking up exercise, ask your GP.
- Drink alcohol in moderation – up to 14 units a week for both men and women – a glass of wine or a pint of beer is 2-3 units.
Find out where you can get your free BP check in Wirral with the Happy Hearts search tool.