Starting school is an exciting time for young children and their parents, but it can be a bit of a daunting time too. With a little preparation and encouragement, most children will settle in easily at school.
Here are our top tips for a successful first day!
1. Before the big day, chat with your child about starting school. What do they think it will be like? What are they most looking forward to? Is there anything they’re unsure or worried about?
2. Find photos of you and other family members at school, and chat about happy memories from your own school days.
3. Try focusing on the things they’ll like best – maybe the sandpit, playhouse or new friends. Perhaps they have some friends from preschool who will be starting reception at the same time.
4. Practice the school morning routine, including getting dressed and eating breakfast in time to leave.
5. If you have arranged childcare before or after school, talk this through with your child. If the childcare arrangement is new, try a settling-in period for this before the school term starts.