September 29th is World Heart Day. It’s all about making a promise to live a more heart-healthy life and making lifestyle changes that can make a powerful difference to our heart health.
30 minutes of activity a day, giving up smoking and eating a healthy diet can help prevent heart disease and stroke. Here are five simple ways you can make a change.
1. Being smoke-free is one of the best things you can do to protect yourself from heart disease. It’s never too late to quit smoking. For help quitting contact ABL Wirral on 0151 541 5656 or text the word ABL to 60777.
2. Diet is an important risk factor in coronary heart disease. Help control your diet by avoiding takeaways and unhealthy snacks. The OneYou website has lots of ideas and tips about healthy eating. There is also an Easy Meals app to help you prepare great foods that’s good for you.
3. Drinking too much alcohol can cause problems such as high blood pressure and heart disease. It may seem like you don't drink much, but a drink or two most evenings can do harm to your body. Find out how you can still enjoy a drink without stopping altogether with OneYou.
4. Many forms of mental health issues can affect heart disease, so good mental wellbeing is important. Lots of things can cause stress, including work, relationships and money problems. Find out more about how stress can affect you, and how you can learn to stress less.
5. Getting enough sleep it is important and is an essential part of keeping your heart healthy. Most of us need around 7-8 hours of good-quality sleep a night to function properly. Find out more about some of the simple things you can do to help you wind down and prepare a good nights sleep.