Indian takeway ordered to close due to food safety risk

09 February 2023
Mouse droppings and gnawed materials under shelving in Saffron kitchen
Mouse droppings and gnawed materials in Saffron kitchen

An Indian takeaway in Birkenhead has been ordered to tackle problems with mice and insects before it is allowed to serve any customers again.

An inspection by a Wirral Council Environmental Health Officer on 2nd February found evidence of mice and cockroaches in various areas of the Saffron restaurant on Borough Road.

The officer concluded that there was a serious risk of food contamination and served a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice on the proprietors, requiring the business to close. 

An application was made to Wirral Magistrates Court this week where a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order was granted. This means the business must remain closed until council officers are satisfied the health risk condition has been removed.

Cllr Helen Cameron, Chair of the Tourism, Communities, Culture & Leisure Committee for Wirral Council said:

I hope this action serves as a reminder to all businesses, who prepare and serve food to Wirral’s residents and visitors, that the highest possible standards of safety, hygiene and management are demanded - and when those standards become unacceptable, action will be taken.

It should also provide reassurance to customers that the inspections of all food premises are carried out by suitably qualified and experienced environmental health officers; they are not just a ‘tick-box’ exercise. Enforcement action is a last resort – officers will usually give advice and a chance for proprietors to put things right before taking action.

However, when serious issues persist and owners are not able or willing to address them properly, they can – and will - be prohibited from operating and serving food in order to protect the public.

Related Tags