What better way to overcome those January blues than going to a show? This month Wirral has everything from Puccini’s opera ‘Madama Butterfly’ to ‘Desperate Scousewives 2’, there are unmissable tributes to Queen, Genesis, Gladys Knight and ABBA... and brilliant punk-rockers Egyptian Blue come to Birkenhead Library!
February comes to a dramatic finale when ground-breaking drama Band of Gold is brought to life by an all-star cast at the Floral Pavilion. Equal parts heart-breaking and humorous, the crime drama captivated over 15 million viewers each week when it aired on ITV in the 90s and told the story of a young woman who is drawn to the red light district to pay the bills. Gaynor Faye (Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Calendar Girls), Laurie Brett (EastEnders, Les Misérables) and Emma Osman play the three iconic lead roles with support coming from Shayne Ward (Coronation Street, X Factor), Kieron Richardson (Hollyoaks, Heartbeat), Sacha Parkinson (Mr Selfridge, The Mill) and Andrew Dunn (Dinnerladies, Coronation Street).
Catch the show at Floral Pavilion from Mon 24 to Sat 29 February, 7.30pm (matinees 2.30pm on Wed & Sat), with tickets £25.75 - £37.75 (16+).
WIN TICKETS to the opening night of Band of Gold at Floral Pavilion on Monday 24 February, 7.30pm.
What precious metal has the chemical symbol Au?
Email your answer to the question above - plus name, address and phone number - to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your entry can be posted to Wirral View, Wallasey Town Hall, Brighton St, Wallasey CH44 8ED. Closing date is Monday 10 February. Good luck!
2. Lady Lever are celebrating all-things Henri Matisse this month. The gallery will be displaying 35 posthumous prints from cut-outs the artist produced in the last four years of his life. If you are inspired by the exhibition, which runs until Sunday 15 March, the gallery will be holding a Matisse life drawing class (Sun 9 Feb, £10), Spotlight Talk (Thu 30 Jan, free) and a series of Matisse workshops on Mon 20 Feb. For more information, visit liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ladylever/
3. If you think libraries are only places for quiet contemplation, think again! The brilliant Egyptian Blue will be making some serious noise at Birkenhead Library as part of Get it Loud in Libraries. Support comes from Irish poet Sinead O’Brien. The show is on Sunday 2 February, 2.30pm (£9) with tickets available at seetickets.com
4. Wirral secondary schools are joining forces with musicians from the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for ‘Hidden Voice’, an acclaimed multi-media show taking us in to the mind of those affected by dementia. The show will be appearing at the Gladstone Theatre on Wednesday 29 January, 7.30pm with tickets £12.50.
5. Shake it up baby! If you are looking for an alternative way to keep fit, why not try your hand at belly-dancing? Classes take place every Saturday from 25 Jan at 11.30am (£5) at Hoylake Parade Community Centre and are suitable for women of all ages and dance abilities. You do not have to expose your body, just wiggle those hips - it’s a great low-impact way to keep fit. For more information, visit tarabellydance.co.uk
ON STAGE THIS MONTH:
- Gladys - The Story (homage to ‘Empress of Soul’ Gladys Knight): Fri 17 Jan, 7.30pm (£16 - £18) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Full House, Gary Stewart Smith and Aaron Ellis: Sat 18 Jan, 7.30pm (£5) - westkirbyartscentre.org.uk
- Curious Tales of The Wirral with Ken Pye: Sun 19 Jan, 2.30pm (£9) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- The Magic of Motown: Fri 24 Jan, 7.30pm (£30.75 / £28.75) - floralpavilion.com
- Coast with The Celebrated & Friends: Fri 24 Jan, 7.30pm (£5) - westkirbyartscentre.org.uk
- Heswall Concert Band (film themes and classics): Sun 26 Jan, 2pm (free) at Birkenhead Priory - thebirkenheadpriory.org/whats-on/
- Black Dyke Band – Best of Brass: Sun 26 Jan, 2.30pm (£14) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Hidden Voice – Music in Mind (the real world of those affected by dementia): Wed 29 Jan, 7.30pm (£12.50) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Start Square (thriller by Make it Write Productions CIC): Fri 31 Jan, 7.30pm (£11.50) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Tennessee Waltz, Hicksville and Ivor Cutlery: Fri 31 Jan, 7.30pm (£5) - westkirbyartscentre.org.uk
- Mama (Genesis tribute band): Fri 31 Jan, 8pm (£20) - heswallhall.co.uk
- Desperate Scousewives 2 - Pulling A Christmas Cracker!: Fri 31 Jan & Sat 1 Feb, 7.30pm, matinee 2.30pm on Sat 1 Jan (£16.75 / £14.75) - floralpavilion.com
- The Wizard of Oz (ballet adaptation of the iconic tale): Sat 1 Feb, 7.30 pm (£15 - £19) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Sinead O’Brien and Egyptian Blue: Sun 2 Feb, 2.30pm (£9) at Birkenhead Central Library - seetickets.com
- GaGa - A Tribute to Queen: Sun 2 Feb, 7.30pm (£22 / £20) - floralpavilion.com
- Madama Butterfly (Puccini’s operatic masterpiece): Mon 3 Feb, 7.30pm (£28.50 - £37.50) - floralpavilion.com
- Murder Between The Lines: Tue 4 Feb - Wed 5 Feb, 7.30 pm (£11) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Relatively Speaking (crowd-pleasing play about marital mayhem): Tue 4 - Sat 8 Feb, 7.30pm at The Little Theatre, Birkenhead (£9 / £7) - carltonlittletheatre.co.uk
- Jimeoin - Ramble On (rib-tickling Irish comedian): Thu 6 Feb, 7.30pm (£19.25) - floralpavilion.com
- The Kilkennys (traditional Irish): Thu 6 Feb, 7.30pm (£16.50) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- Juan Martin (internationally renowned flamenco guitarist): Fri 7 Feb, 7.30pm (£21.75) - floralpavilion.com
- The Jive Aces – Big Beat Revue: Fri 7 Feb, 7.30pm (£19) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- ARRIVAL The Hits Of ABBA: Fri 7 Feb, 7.30pm (£25.25) - floralpavilion.com
- The Lost Princess & Stars and Stripes (Wirral School of Dance): Sat 8 Feb, 2.30pm & 7.30pm (£15 / £13) - floralpavilion.com
- Kent Duchaine and Leadbessie (American delta blues): Sat 8 Feb, 7.30pm (£10) - westkirbyartscentre.org.uk
- Strangers on a Train Set: Sat 8 Feb, 7.30pm (£14) - gladstonetheatre.org.uk
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly (popular nursery rhyme comes to life!): Sun 9 Feb, 2:30pm (£13.75) - floralpavilion.com
Sign up now...
If you sign up in January for Cancer Research UK's Race for Life, you can save 30% off the entry fee. Simply visit the Race for Life website and use the code RFLJAN30 when booking. Race for Life takes place at Birkenhead Park on the weekend of 27-28 June and this year EVERYONE is invited, male and female!
Caitlin Holme, Cancer Research UK’s Event Manager for the North West, said: 'Our events are fun, colourful, emotional and uplifting. Race for Life is the perfect example of everyday people doing an extraordinary thing – uniting in a common cause to beat cancer.'