To celebrate two large-scale cycling events riding through our borough this year, Wirral Council and partners invite residents to enjoy a Summer of Cycling.
May saw the OVO Energy Tour Series, come to the borough for the first time with an estimated 10,000 people watching the fast and furious action around Hamilton Square, resulting in cycling fever.
In addition to the main events, the Summer of Cycling is an opportunity to bring people together, enthusiasts and beginners alike.
Activities and events will be taking place across the borough this summer, encouraging everyone to get on two wheels before the UK’s most prestigious cycling event arrives in September – the OVO Energy Tour of Britain.
Get involved by taking part in one of the many cycling events taking place across Wirral this summer:
- Women’s Repair and Maintenance Workshop with Cycling UK: 2, 11, & 17 July
- ‘Ice Cream, Drink or Chips' relaxed bike ride with HSBC UK: 4 July, 8 July, 18 July
- 'Breeze into Cycling' with HSBC UK Breeze: 9 July, 16 July, 8 August
- ‘Spring into Summer’ Wirral Way ride with HSBC UK British Cycling: 13 July
- 'Nightrider' overnight tunnel bike ride: 13/14 July
- 15 to 20 mile rides with Wirral Bicycle Belles: 13 July, 17 August, 21 September
- 35, 15 or 5 mile bike ride Women's Festival of Cycling: 3 August
- 'Beginner Cycle Skills' sessions with HSBC UK Breeze: 8 August, 15 August, 29 August
- 'Viking Wirral on Wheels', a bike ride organised by Bido Lito! Cycling Club and Ryde Liverpool as part of Birkenhead's Future Yard Festival: 24 August, 10:30am (please note that in order to participate in the bike ride you will need to purchase a festival wristband, day tickets for Saturday are £25 or a weekend wristband costs £40)
- OVO Energy Tour of Britain: 11 September
- 'Suicide Prevention Bike Ride' cycle around Wirral from Woodside: 15 September, 9:30am-5pm
- 'The Leverhulme Summer Cycle' starting from Brimstage Hall, cycle around the Leverhulme Estate and then enjoy their festival site at Brimstage Courtyard: 22 September, 10am-4pm
- 'HYPE' cycle events for families and cyclists of all abilities: 15 August at Demesne Street Park, Seacombe, 5:30pm-7:30pm and 31 August at Birkenhead Park, 12noon-2pm
- 'HYPE' cycle events for advanced MTB riders: 9 and 30 August at Arrowe Park, Woodchurch, 4pm-6pm
- 'Cycling through time' exhibition at Williamson Gallery: displayed until 22 September
- Race and skills training for 5-15 yr olds with Birkenhead North End CC: Thursdays, 6-8pm
- 'Wheels for All' with Wirral mencap: Thursdays, 10am-3pm
- Bike checks, repairs and advice events for all ages and abilities at Birkenhead Park Cycle Hub: Mondays, 10am-12noon
- Bike rides around Birkenhead Park: Mondays, 11am-12noon (please email for more information)
- 'Pedal Away' for easy-going and social bike rides with Guinea Gap: Tuesdays, 10am
- Hire a bike from Tracs in Thurstaston: Weekends and Bank Holidays (unless pre-booked), 10am-5pm
- 'HYPE' servicing and repairs hub at 50 Grange Road West in Birkenhead: Mondays and Fridays, 1pm-5pm
- Wirral Bicycle Belles cycling group: 17 August, 21 September
If you just fancy getting out on your bike this summer, find out about Wirral’s cycle routes at visitwirral.com.