Householders are being asked to recycle right this Christmas and New Year – but to take care when visiting Recycling Centres and continue to follow the national COVID-19 guidance.
Merseyside Recycling & Waste Authority (MRWA) and its contractor Veolia are reminding local people that Wirral’s Household Waste Recycling Centres are open most days – except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day – from 8am until 5pm during winter.
Many items are accepted on site such as bottles, cans, cardboard, garden waste (including real Christmas trees – which will be shredded and turned into chippings for compost), glass jars and bottles, paper, large plastics, scrap metal (including metal artificial trees), textiles, toys and white goods.
All centres accept electrical items, just don’t forget to remove any batteries and recycle them separately. For any items like toys, electrical items, bric-a-brac you don’t need after Christmas, if they aren’t broken, donate them to local charity shops or community groups.
Wrapping paper, whilst can be recycled at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre, can also be put in your recycling (grey) bin – if the paper has a decorative/ shiny/ glossy/ glittery surface though it can’t be recycled so it should be disposed of in your general waste (green) bin.
As centres are particularly busy at this time of year, MRWA and Veolia are asking residents to consider the following:
- Try and separate waste before visiting to make your trip easier and to help reduce queues
- Remove polystyrene and flatten cardboard boxes before placing them into the recycling container to help save room for others
- Don’t fly-tip waste outside a Recycling Centre – it is illegal and you could be fined or prosecuted
- If using a van or large trailer, please pre-book your visit at www.merseysidewda.gov.uk
- Don’t take plastic bags – try to reuse them as much as possible or make a New Year’s resolution to use bags-for-life – and avoid putting recyclable items in bin bags*
Households with COVID-19 symptoms should leave waste for at least 72 hours before disposal. All personal waste should be safely double bagged.*
If your New Year’s resolution is to recycle more often visit www.recycleright.org.uk for more information about what you can and can’t recycle.
Where is your local Recycling Centre?
There are 3 sites in Wirral, these are:
- Bidston – Wallasey Bridge Road, Birkenhead CH41 1EB
- Clatterbridge – Mount Road, Clatterbridge CH63 6HB
- West Kirby – Greenbank Road CH48 5HR