Content note: This article mentions suicide and suicide prevention support.
A suicide prevention helpline wants young people in Wirral to know that support is there for them during the festive period.
HOPELINE UK, is a free, non-judgemental helpline run by specialist advisers to support young people and those around them.
Run by leading charity Papyrus – Prevention of Young Suicide whose head office is based in Cheshire, the service is on offer to all children and young people under the age of 35 who are experiencing thoughts of suicide.
In addition, the helpline is also available to offer advice to people who are concerned about a young person who may be experiencing thoughts of suicide.
Papyrus, supported by Wirral Council through Champs Public Health Collaborative are encouraging Wirral residents to utilise the helpline if they are in need of advice and support, especially in the run up to and during the busy festive period.
A spokesperson for Papyrus said: “When you call HOPELINE UK, you will speak to a suicide prevention advisor. Our HOPELINEUK advisers are life-assisting care givers, and they are all trained to help people stay safe from acting on thoughts of suicide.
“Christmas and the wider festive period can be a busy and stressful time for many people, as well as isolating. We’re encouraging people in Wirral to use the helpline if they feel worried for themselves, a loved one or friend.
“HOPELINE UK will provide you with a safe space to talk through anything happening in your life that could be impacting on your or anyone else’s ability to stay safe.”
How to contact HOPELINEUK
If you are having thoughts of suicide or are concerned for a young person who might be you can contact HOPELINEUK for confidential support and practical advice.
- Call: 0800 068 4141
- Text: 07860039967 or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: 9am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends, 2pm – 10pm bank holidays.
For more information, read the HOPELINEUK FAQ.
If you’re looking for support, the following advice lines and opening times may also be of use:
- Samaritans, open 24/7: 116 123.
- CALM helpline (support for men), 5pm – midnight every day: 0800 58 58 58.
- Silver Line (support for older people), open 24/7: 0800 470 8090.
- Anxiety UK Helpline, weekdays 9.30am - 5.30pm: 0344 477 5774.
- In an emergency, always dial 999.
- In a non-emergency, you can call 111 or, if you’re under 18, dial the CAMHS Central Advice and Duty Line 0151 488 8453.