Starting school is an exciting time for young children and their parents, but it can be a bit of a daunting time too. With a little preparation and encouragement, most children will settle in easily at school.
Here are our top tips for a successful first day!
- Before the big day, chat with your child about starting school. What do they think it will be like? What are they most looking forward to? Is there anything they’re unsure or worried about?
- Find photos of you and other family members at school and chat about happy memories from your own school days. Children will see that you’ve been through the same experience and come out the other side!
- Try focusing on the things that maybe they’ll like best – maybe a sandpit, playhouse or making new friends. Perhaps they have some friends they already know from preschool who will be starting reception at the same time. Emphasise the positive, starting school is exciting!
- Practise the school morning routine, including getting dressed and eating breakfast in time.
- If you have arranged wraparound care, talk to your child about this. If the arrangement is new, try a settling-in period for this before term starts.