Back to top

Residents advised to check waste carriers are legal

Residents are being given ‘top tips’ on how to tell if a waste collection service is legitimate to avoid fly-tipping.

Recent months have seen an increase in reports of household rubbish being dumped alongside a growing number of residents asking for council advice on how to ensure they don’t fall foul of the law.

Residents have a legal duty to take ‘all reasonable measures’ to ensure their waste is disposed of by an authorised person only. If waste is found to be fly-tipped or not disposed of appropriately, the resident can be prosecuted leading to a conviction, fine and criminal record. Fines could be up to £5,000.

The council’s Waste and Environment team have shared a number of tips to ensure that residents protect themselves against unlicensed companies and potential fly-tipping fines:

  • Check their licence

Always ask to see the company’s waste carrier registrations details and check these with the Environment Agency either online, by phone 03708 506 506 or email.

  • If it seems too good to be true it usually is

Be aware of rogue waste carriers, often price can be a good indication of this. If you have any doubts as to whether a company is a legitimate waste carrier do not allow them to take your waste

  • Ask the question

Always ask the company what is going to happen to your rubbish/ waste

  • Make a note

Keep a note of the registration number of the vehicle used to take your waste away

  • Get proof

Make sure to get a proper receipt with the company details on it and written information that describes what they have taken and where the company will be taking it


If you have large items that you need to dispose of and are still unsure about whether a company is licensed, the council operates a bulky waste collection service for £29.50 per collection of up to 6 items.

You can arrange for a bulky item collection and read about the items that can be collected by visiting

Other waste such as small amounts of building or decorating waste can be taken to one of the tips (Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRC)) which are operated by Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority and are free to householders. In Wirral, these centres are at Clatterbridge, Bidston and West Kirby and are open seven days per week from 8am to 5pm during October to April and 8am to 8pm during April to September.

You can find advice to assist you in managing your waste in between bin collections on the council website