12 local organisations around Liverpool Bay are celebrating the news that they have been awarded grants as part of Burbo Bank Extension Community Fund, set up by DONG Energy in 2015.
Wirral organisations are among those to each receive a share of an £111,809 windfall under the fourth round of funding awarded by the Fund.
Each year for the expected 25 year lifetime of the Burbo Bank Extension offshore wind farm, approximately £225,000 will be made available for community projects, which will benefit the local area. Funding has opened for the next round of funding, (see details below).
The full list of organisations awarded grants under this round of the Community Benefit Fund are as follows:
- Friends of Hoylake and Meols in Bloom, Defibrillator for Queens Park- £1,875
- Sharks Community Trust, Inclusive Rugby in Wirral - £10,070
- The Growing Environment, Lansdowne Place, Birkenhead - £12,168
- Stick'n'Step, Supporting Children with Cerebral Palsy in Wallasey - £10,000
- Wirral Connect, Supporting Families Bereaved by Suicide - £4,500
- Christchurch Parish Community Centre, Moreton - £11,250
- Rhuddlan Town Council, Fresh Air Gym - £3,500
- Emmanuel Baptist Church Community Café, Netherton - £25,000
- Cohiba Productions, Working with Women leaving care in Sefton - £5,000
- RISE (Reach-Inspire-Support-Educate), Working with young carers and bereaved children - £8,232
- Book of You, Dementia Project in North Wales - £6,400
- Swan Womens Centre Allotment Project, Bootle / Litherland - £13,814
Natasha Nanuck, DONG Energy's Stakeholder Advisor, said: "We want to ensure the communities in which we operate benefit from our presence, so we set up this voluntary community benefit fund which will be open for 25 years.
"The first three rounds of grants has seen some fantastic projects benefit from the fund, including the Mermaid Trail in New Brighton which was opened last month. I'm every bit as excited about this diverse round of successful applicants."
The fifth round of applications is now open, where again £112,500 will be up for grabs. The Fund is being managed by national grant-making charity GrantScape and more details can be found at GrantScape's website www.grantscape.org.uk or by calling 01908 247634. The closing date for applications is 4 October 2017.
The DONG Energy Burbo Bank Extension offshore wind farm was officially opened in May 2017 and is capable of meeting the electricity demand of well over 230,000 homes.